Sunday, July 6, 2014

good reads



I’m not sure what is going on, but I think I have read more books in the last 6 months than I have in the last 10 years.  Well…not counting picture books of course…I’ve read at least a bazillion of those to the kids.


I’m not just reading your average run-of-the-mill novels either.  These are more like mega books, most of them are around 1,000 pages each.  Read at your own risk.  You may just be swept away like I’ve been…

Outlander: by Diana Gabaldon

Outlander

Oh Outlander!  Where have you been all my life?   (Actually, this series is pretty old, maybe 20 years or so and I am very glad to not have to wait for the next book to be published!)  Adventure, time travel, romance (actually a bit smutty), history, trauma…this book has it all. They have completely captivated my attention for the last 4 months.  I even fill Saul in on the details every evening after I read.  And they are turning it into a series for TV.  EEEKK!!  You can see the preview here.  Outlander is the first in the series of eight and I have finished the first seven.

(Disclaimer: This books are really amazing stories with beautiful descriptive prose and I highly recommend them. Buuuut they do contain adult material I myself am not accustomed to reading.  I’ve had to skim over some of it, and if you can overlook those things you may enjoy them as well.  Read at your own risk!)

I’ve also read: Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, The Fiery Cross, A Breath of Snow and Ashes, An Echo In the Bone, and currently Written in My Own Hearts Blood.



The Diet Cure: by Julia Ross

the diet cure


This book made a lot of sense to me.  She’s easy to understand and gives lots of great advice and examples.  The concept is based on over 20 years of study using amino acids to help people overcome food/caffeine addictions.  I’ve been on an amino regimen for the last three months and have noticed a marked difference in cravings, mood stability, and energy. 



He Said Beer, She Said Wine: by Sam Calagione and Marnie Old

He Said Beer

I’ve been reading about wine.  And drinking it.  And really enjoying both.  These books have been fun to read too:  Hip Tastes, The Wine Savant, and Let me tell you about wine.



Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NYMH: by Robert C. O’Brien

mrs frisby

The kids and I read this during our rodent unit and then watched the movie.  Great story!



What’s next:
Here Be Monsters by Alan Snow for the kids’ read aloud. 

No comments: